Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Cheesy Herby Whole Wheat Drop Biscuits

Fresh drop biscuits remind me of Saturday mornings growing up - my parents would make sausage & gravy and fresh biscuits almost every weekend. Drop biscuits are fuss-free. No need to get a biscuit cutter out or flour a surface. Just grab some of the mixture and drop it on the cookie sheet. If you want to make them a bit more even, you can roll them into a ball. 


Instead of the usual drop biscuit, I decided to bump it up a bit. Adding cheese, seasonings and herb butter. To make these a bit heartier and healthier I used whole wheat flour (and reduced the amount of butter normally used). It makes the biscuit more dense and gives them that wheat flavor that I love. If you aren't a huge fan of using wheat, white flour works well in this recipe (that's how my mom would make them). 


I used Kerrygold Garlic and Herb Butter - which is my favorite!! It comes from grass fed cows and so flavorful. I add this butter to most recipes (mashed potatoes, scrambled eggs, etc.). I highly recommend trying it. The cheese I used was a sharp sheep milk cheese that I bought locally. Any sharp cheese will do in this recipe. And as for the milk, I had 2% on hand, so that's what I used. Any milk will do, even milk substitutes (soy, almond, etc). I usually buy vanilla almond milk - but that didn't sound too appealing with all of the savory ingredients. 




Cheesy Herby Whole Wheat Drop Biscuits


Cook Time: 13-15 minutes @ 425F
Prep Time: < 5 minutes
Serves: 10-12 biscuits


Ingredients:

  • Oil spray

Dry:
  • 2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp of dried parsley

  • 1/2 cup sharp cheese, grated
  • 4 Tbsp of herb butter, melted
  • 1 cup milk


Preheat oven to 425F. Prep a cookie sheet with oil spray to prevent sticking.


In a large bowl combine all of the dry ingredients and the cheese. 




Pour the melted butter over top. Mix slightly by hand. Then gradually stir the mixture while adding some of the milk (about 1/4 cup at a time) until everything is well incorporated. The mixture should be slightly sticky.


Get about a 1/4 cup of the mixture and drop onto the cookie sheet. Make sure to place each biscuit about 1-2 inches apart.


Transfer the cookie sheet to the oven and bake for about 13-15 minutes or until the top is slightly brown and the inside is cooked (you can check this by inserting a toothpick).


Serve the biscuits warm.  



3 comments:

  1. OMG I LOOOVE this!!!! I'm going to make these someday very very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These cheesy biscuits would go perfect with soup - how delish :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete