Sunday, June 24, 2012

Whole Wheat Banana Flax Pancakes

It's the weekend - and that means I'm making breakfast! Since I'm not in a rush to get to work or start on my to-do list, I take the time to make something I've been craving or wanting to have. Pancakes - a go-to weekend breakfast item. Since I had a few bananas on hand that were either going to be used today or go in the freezer, I decided to add them to my pancakes. These are dense, filling and hearty. The whole wheat flour, flaxseed and egg give the pancakes that dense texture. Sure I enjoy light airy pancakes, but I end up wanting to eat 5 or so to feel satisfied. With these, 2 pancakes is plenty for me. The banana gives it a light sweetness, but these aren't sweet by any means. I like to control how sweet my food gets, so I drizzle a bit of pure maple syrup after they are cooked for a touch of sweet. A nice balance of protein, fat and fiber - these pancakes are not made up of empty calories, they are power packed! 

I recommend sifting the flour, it gives it a bit of air and helps the pancakes not get too dense. I used coconut oil to lube up the pan, but you could use whatever kind of oil you'd like. I usually use coconut oil or olive oil. I didn't want a fruity olive oil taste - so yummy coconut instead. These recipe doubles easily, in case you've got a really hungry family!


Whole Wheat Banana Flax Pancakes

Cook Time: < 15 minutes
Prep Time: < 5 minutes
Serves: 8 (1/4 cup) pancakes

Ingredients:
Dry:

  • 1 cup organic whole wheat flour, sifted
  • 1 tbsp organic ground flaxseed
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder

Wet:

  • 1 ripe banana, mashed very well
  • 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 egg whites (cage-free), beaten


  • 1 tsp coconut oil (for pan) or use oil spray
  • fresh banana slices (optional)
  • pure maple syrup (optional)
  • dairy-free whipped topping (optional)

Heat a large skillet over medium heat.

In a side bowl, add all of the dry ingredients. Mix well by hand. Set aside.

In a large bowl, mashed the banana very well with a fork. Then add the rest of the wet ingredients and stir well. 


Gradually stir in the dry mixture to the wet mixture. Try to not over mix. The batter should be thick and lumpy. 

Use about 1/3 of the oil - put it in the heated pan and distribute evenly. 

Pour a 1/4 cup of the pancake batter into the pan, spreading the batter out slightly. Repeat this step until the pan has the max amount of pancakes it can hold. 


Wait for the pancakes to slightly bubble on top (about 3 minutes) and then flip, to cook the other side. Cook for about 2 minutes or so. Remove from the pan and begin with the next batch of pancakes. Add a bit of remaining oil and proceed with adding the pancakes to the pan. Do this as many times as you need to finish off the batter.

Once the pancakes are done, serve warm. Top with fresh banana slices and a drizzle of pure maple syrup.  

My cute petite pancake stack with a few banana slices and a drizzle of maple syrup.

My husband's pancake platter - he's so proud :). He added a bit of whipped topping on his. 


Nutritional Info for 2 pancakes(not including optional ingredients):
Calories: 175 ; Fat: 3g ; Carbohydrate: 32g ; Fiber: 5g ; Sugar: 4g ; Protein: 7g 

4 comments:

  1. These look great! Certainly much better than the light and airy pancakes that causes one to overeat in order to feel satisfied.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used one whole egg instead of 2 egg whites and added blueberries too, yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds delicious! I love fresh blueberries, especially if they are slightly warmed

      Delete
  3. Love these! I added 1/4 c of blueberries and 1/4c chocolate chips for an extra treat! Thanks for the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete