Friday, June 15, 2012

Skinny Chicken Fried Rice

This recipe is perfect for using leftover rice. When I make rice, I usually make a large pot and keep some in the fridge for other uses - that way I always have some on hand for quick meals/lunches. Today it is going to be used to make my Skinny Chicken Fried Rice (or Arroz Chaufa). It's a medley of veggies, chicken and tons of flavor. All the good stuff. 


If you've ever been to Benihana, you would know that making fried rice is very simple. Unlike how they make it there, I prefer my food to not have so much oil and butter. So instead of using a bowl of oil, I use a small amount (which doesn't compromise the flavor at all!). Making it guilt-free fried rice. 


To make putting this together super easy, I used shredded pieces of leftover rotisserie chicken from Whole Foods. But if you prefer to make your own chicken, then I would cook it first before starting this recipe. That way you can combine everything all at once. Also if you want to substitute the brown rice for white, that's fine. I just prefer the texture of the brown rice (and the health perks!). This recipe can easily be doubled (it makes for a great next-day lunch).



Skinny Chicken Fried Rice

Cook Time: < 20 minutes
Prep Time: < 5 minutes
Serves: 4 


Ingredients:

  • 1 tsp canola oil
  • 1/2 large onion, diced
  • 1/4 lb cremini mushrooms, sliced thin
  • 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
  • 2 eggs (salt and pepper to taste)
  • 2 tbsp gluten-free tamari 
  • 1 tsp seasoned rice wine vinegar
  • 1 tsp dark sesame oil
  • 1 cup of shredded rotisserie chicken
  • 1/3 cup frozen peas
  • 2 cups of cooked long grain brown rice (at least a day old or so)
  • 1/4 cup chicken stock



Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and saute for about 5 minutes, or until softened. Then add the mushrooms and the ginger. Cook for about 3 minutes, stirring well. 


While this is cooking, in a small skillet cook the eggs. Heat the skillet over medium heat and spray lightly with oil spray. Scramble the eggs (salt and pepper to taste) and continuously stir until cooked thoroughly. Chop the scrambled egg into small bite size pieces. Set aside.


Back to the large pot - Add the tamari, rice wine vinegar and sesame oil. Stir into the veggies. Then add the chicken, sesame oil, rice and eggs. Mix well with the veggies. 


As you are stirring everything together, gradually add the chicken stock. Keep stirring. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the rice is well mixed and heat through. 


Serve piping hot with chop sticks :)

4 comments:

  1. Thx for connecting with me on foodbuzz. I just subscribed to your blog feed and can't wait to see what your next post will be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these skinny recipes! Another great one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous skinny recipe my friend :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone, I appreciate the support :)

    ReplyDelete