Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Cheesy Jalapeno Cornbread

Cornbread is so easy to make - especially if you purchase a box of cornbread mix. I try to always have a box on hand, to make meals easy during the week. You just add in whatever flavors you'd like and within minutes you've got a savory or sweet bread. I've made a variety of cornbread - blueberry, extra cheesy, smoky, and of course super spicy. This is my version of a southwestern cornbread. Slightly spicy and a bit cheesy. I like having some texture, so the corn kernels are great to have. I love serving cornbread with something wet, like chili or gravy. I will slice a piece, and toast it a bit (so it is nice a crunchy on the outside) and then crumble it on top. Or I'll just lightly butter it and scarf it down. I apologize in advance that there are no pictures of the cornbread sliced - it was eaten before I got a chance to take a picture. I guess it means it was good :)

I've made this cornbread with unsweetened almond milk and it turns out just fine. Also I do recommend using the sugar, it really helps bring out the sweetness in the corn. It's subtle, but sure makes a huge difference! I used Jiffy cornbread mix, but any brand will do. I've tried many varieties and they are all good. I just make sure to purchase the ones that are plain (with no added flavorings).


Cheesy Jalapeno Cornbread

Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
Prep Time: < 5 minutes
Serves: 9  

Ingredients:

  • oil spray
  • Box of cornbread mix
  • 1/3 cup skim milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 jalapeno, minced w/ seeds (optional)
  • 1/2 cup frozen white corn kernels
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • pinch of pepper

Preheat the oven to 400F. Prep a 9 x 9 pan with oil spray and set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients. Mix until it had all come together. 


Pour the mixture into the greased pan and place in the oven for 15-20 minutes


Once the corn bread is golden brown and completely cooked, allow it to cool for about 5 minutes before cutting and serving.


Nutritional Info per Square:
Calories: 135 ; Fat: 4.5g; Carbohydrate: 21g ; Fiber: 1g ; Sugar: 6g ; Protein: 3.5g

6 comments:

  1. Yum! Looks fabulous and very tasty!! I'm a big fan of Jalapeno's at the moment, so this would go down a treat...with myself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love cheesy things, especially when they're edible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheese makes all cornbread better, this looks yum :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I must give this a try. I have always seen corn bread and jalapeno chili, but have not have a chance to make it yet incorporating both :). I can imagine myself serving it with some Mex cuisine, yumm.. which I love! Thanks for coming over Laurie, appreciate your support! am following you too and stay in touch. Cheers, Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    We've recently launched the site RecipesUS.com, where users can search through hundreds of thousands of recipes from American food sites and blogs. We noticed that you have a lot of delicious recipes on your blog and we would like to suggest you have a look at our site: http://www.recipesus.com/.

    If you want to add your food blog to the list and have your recipes indexed on RecipesUS.com, all you have to do is follow these instructions: http://www.recipesus.com/add-your-food-blog.

    Hopefully your food blog will be up there in the top!

    Kind regards,
    Senka
    info@recipesus.com

    ReplyDelete